Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Live free or die in Vacationland

The family and I just got back last night from our second road trip to New England in a little over a year. This time, sans the grandmothers but avec the new car.

Overall, I'd have to say it was a wonderful trip. Not without it's "pull-my-hair-out-if Caleb-doesn't-stop-screeching-from-the-back-seat," or those "if-Gabe-sasses-once-more-I'll-become-a-believer-in-whoopin's" moments, but wonderful, nonetheless.

Justin, my best friend from childhood was getting married on Sept 5. Sara and I decided not long after getting the news that it would be best to drive out and make it our summer vacation. I'm really glad we did. Really thankful to have had the opportunity. Still kinda wishing we were a thousand miles northeast of here.

For those who are keeping track of my, ahem, commitment to blog once a week for 2009, I'm going to use this vacation as a chance to play a little catch-up. My hope is to do one entry sharing the highlights for each of the days of this most recent trip. Quite honestly, I'm not doing it to share so much as I am to do something to preserve the memories and record my thoughts for the sake of my own recollection. And since it would kind of be a pain to print pictures to add to my journal, I'm going to do the (somewhat self-censored) journaling here.

Here are the things I think I'll write about from each day:

Day 1a: Friday, August 28 -- Failure to launch
Day 1b: Saturday, August 29 -- Buffalo Hurds
Day 2: Sunday, August 30 -- Sweet Mountain Air
Day 3: Monday, August 31 -- Hike with the boys, Gabe swimming with Justin, Caleb sleeping through dinner
Day 4: Tuesday, Sept.1 -- Fishing and more fishing. Bear poop. Winthrop.
Day 5: Wednesday, Sept 2 -- Ocean and my adventure buddy
Day 6: Thursday, Sept 3 -- Rest, Choo-choo, More swimming, Moose Crossing Scam, Laundry
Day 7: Friday, Sept 4 -- Fishing, Shopping ($5 Lids), New Hampshire State Pen
Day 8: Saturday, Sept 5 -- Long drive, Wedding, Gabe's new friends, the Toast I didn't give
Day 9: Sunday, Sept 6 -- Long hard road, Mt Holyoke, So much for driving straight through
Day 10: Sunday, Sept 7 -- The White Stag, Clementine, Gary, and Back in the Chi.

4 comments:

  1. I am keeping track of your, ahem, committment to blogging. Good thing you're catching up, buddy.

    And don't forget my favorite highlight - you calling Gabe "Gary" in your driving delerium. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and that reminds me of our discussion about the number "Gazillion." Was that the fifth one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you kids made it home! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. Don't forget I'm not on Facebook, so I'll have to see you in person to get all my information! LOL :-)
    Love, Mom
    P.S. Dan, I think it's hysterical you called Gabriel "Gary". Just wait until you get older, it gets worse! LOL

    ReplyDelete