Sunday, May 31, 2009

Marley, Me, and the Brevity of this Life

Sara and I watched Marley and Me this weekend. It's about a dog, but not really. It's really about this young couple and their stages of life from newly married to parenthood. I am pretty critical of movies, so when I say this, it might sound strange to those of you who know how difficult I am to please: I'd say it was a pretty good movie. One of the things that really struck me while watching it was just another reminder of how quickly these days we are given pass. (This was in the context of a weekend where I saw my brother graduate from high school...the same brother who, I think, was in kindergarten or 1st grade the first time he met Sara, the first week we were dating. The same brother, who upon this first meeting, asked Sandi to bring him to the basement, where Sara and I were hanging out, so he could show Sara how fast he could run).

And I couldn't help but to reflect on how quickly these days with our own little ones pass. And I felt sad about how I can so easily make my work, my rest & relaxation, my "needs" a priority over making the most of each day's opportunities with Sara and the boys. And I want so badly to have God's grace & wisdom for each step of the way.

2 comments:

  1. I.hear.you.

    I have totally been feeling the same way lately. Being at Cory's graduation made me realize how fast not only he has grown up, but also how fast our boys too will grow up. How fast he can run is a whole different story. hahaha, what a funny memory! He was so little!!

    I read the book first and loved it. The movie was good, but the book was really so much better. I think that's true with most books turned movies. I'm not sure how corny you would feel, but if you want some light summer reading, I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching you with your boys and am so happy that you treasure them as you do. You and Patrick are both such great father role models for Cory.
    And the time does go fast. I'm glad that Cory is becoming the young man he is, but I truly miss my little guy, who was my best buddy.
    love ya,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete