Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Can I Just Say...

Regardless of where you stand politically, can I just say that there was a lot of beauty in today's events? I think I got one of the best seats in the country for the inauguration...I sat in on the assembly of K-8th graders at the school housed at Circle, here on the West Side of Chicago. I'd have to say that this student population is 99.7% African American, and as we all know they had never seen a president who looked like them...until today. It's hard for me to articulate my thoughts on this, but it was a thing of beauty...even if our country's history denies the dignity of a group of people and through historic exclusion and injustice tells them what they can and cannot be...man, just a wonderful thing seeing this historic barrier destroyed. Something very just and beautiful about this.

2 comments:

  1. How special that you were able to witness this with your students. You did have one of the best seats in the country!! I can't help but cry every time I see scenes from the Inauguration. It is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tag, you're it. The rules are on my blog. :-)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete