Saturday, July 25, 2009

Another "God" conversation with Gabe

So I was putting Gabe to bed tonight, and when we were going to pray, he told me he wanted to ask me about something. I love the questions he asks about God. I'd like to remember this, so I'll try to recreate the dialogue below:

Gabe: Does God sleep?

Me: No. He never sleeps. He's always watching over us and everybody else. He doesn't need to sleep because He's God.

Gabe: Well, does He eat breakfast?

Me: No, He doesn't need to eat, either.

Gabe: Doesn't He have a mouth?

Me: I think He has a mouth; He just doesn't need to eat because He's God.

Gabe: Lunch or supper either?

Me: I don't think so. But, when He came to Earth as a man a long time ago, as Jesus, He ate then.

Gabe: (Exasperated) What? Are you telling me God came to Earth?

Me: Yeah, He came to Earth as Jesus a long time ago. That's what makes Jesus so special.

Gabe: Is this for real?

Me: Yes, it's for real.

Gabe: What did He eat?

Me: All I know is that He ate fish and bread. (Gabe snuggles Lambie, his little stuffed lamb, just as I say,) He might have eaten lamb.

Gabe: What? I thought God liked lambs. (With that "I'm a little saddened by this, but I don't want to share this verbally" look in his eyes.)

Me: Oh, I mean, I think people back then used to eat lamb. I don't know if Jesus did.

Gabe: Well how did He get down here? Did He have a parachute?

Me: No, He was born as a baby. Remember the Christmas story? (I briefly re-tell the Christmas story...)

This lead to talking about miracles, which brought us back to one of the pages we read just before this conversation from his children's Bible, where Jesus turns water into wine, which led to Gabe asking "What's wine?" And we carried on with a 10 minute discussion on the fermentation of grape juice from there.

Okay, so we didn't discuss the fermentation of grape juice, but the rest is true. Priceless stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Priceless, indeed. I just shared this out loud with my colleague, Judy, and I'm crying. I love Gabe's curiosity and his inquisitive questions. And I love how you share our Savior with your boys. Too bad Lambie isn't a puppy. We all know Jesus didn't eat puppies. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet moment Dan. I love how innocent children are and how thirsty they are for the truth. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too precious!! I'm glad you are writing down all these special conversations with Gabe!! Thanks for sharing! Ruth :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like book material to me.
    love ya,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete